Neighbour updates

The other day I invited your feedback so that Huron Woods neighbours could hear how you are doing. I received a couple of updates and posting the first one below. Barb posted as a comment to my post, which does not come through as an email. To make it easier for you to read, here it is. It’s a doozy.

Hi Angela,

I wanted to say that you are doing an excellent job in keeping people connected. I thought I would share my update as a few people knew we were going away and might like to know how things evolved for us.

Here is our story: 
We left March 5th to fly to the Philippines via Taipei arrived March 7th and flew onward to the small island of Busanga. We stayed in Coron town and had 3 days of excellent snorkeling. What a beautiful country! On the island, there were minimal indications of a virus problem but we tried to be as safe as possible. On March 13th on our way to Busanga airport, we found out that this was the last day flights were going to go out of Manila to any of the islands. The airport in Manila was jammed packed as word had gotten out that Manila was shutting down all flights in 2 days which they did. We nervously waited 6 hours for our ongoing flight to Taipei trying to find a quiet corner. We arrived in Taipei to find emails from home that Canada was asking all to come home by the 23rd. We weren’t supposed to return till the 31st but we managed to get that changed to the 20th.We had another week planned in the tiny island of Palau but cancelled that as well. As word from home got progressively worse, we did try for an earlier flight but there were no seats available. We had planned a private tour around Taiwan anyway so decided to go ahead with it. I must say Taiwan was probably the safest place we could be at that point. The whole country had stringent protocols in place – temperature reading on a daily basis and hand sanitizer applied every where and social distancing was practiced. I must say though we breathed a big sigh of relief to have our temperatures read normal the afternoon of our flight home. 

And now we have our 2 weeks of relaxation and contemplation at home and feel fortunate to be among those who did make it home healthy (so far). Between good friends, a kind neighbour and the Whole Pig, we have everything we need. I hope all of you are as fortunate. 

Barb and John Smits

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.